- 10 Christmas Rose Seeds,Blooms When Little Else in The Garden - Helleborus Niger
- A long-lived clump forming evergreen producing charming cup shaped blooms when little else is in the garden is flowering. Blooms can be cut for winter posies
- Christmas Rose (Helleborus Niger) - Christmas Rose seeds can be started to grow this unique ornamental that blooms in the winter. Helleborus Niger Christmas Rose has a rugged, coarse-textured, leathery, shiny green foliage that remains attractive year-round. The plant is stemless, herbaceous and can be used as a ground cover that reaches 12 - 18 inches tall and spreads about the same across.
- Christmas Rose flowers bloom in early winter to early spring with white flowers that might be tinged with pink. Christmas Rose plants are a perfect addition to give a garden some winter color. Grow Christmas Rose from flower seeds and use the ground cover plants to line the edges of a sidewalk or garden path. Edging a path is job that they perform very well and they can be seen up close and fully appreciated. Foot traffic is not recommended.
- If sowing the Christmas Rose seeds directly outdoors, sow the ground cover seeds in the fall. The flower seeds require a cold treatment to germinate. You can either sow them on the ground where you will be growing them permanently or sow the seeds in pots, and then bring the pots in after a month or so of freezing weather. The freezing will encourage them to germinate more easily.
Details: The freezing will encourage them to germinate more easily. If you choose to sow the Christmas Rose flower seeds indoors, freeze the seeds for 3 - 6 weeks to break dormancy, then plant the flower seeds in starting medium. When the plant is around 2 inches tall, transplant to the permanent place. Helleborus Niger plants can take up to 3 years to flower when grown by seeds. Christmas Rose is a poisonous plant. Flower Specifications Season: Perennial USDA Zones: 4 - 8 Height: 12 - 18 inches Bloom Season: Winter Bloom Color: White Environment: Partial shade Soil Type: Moist, well-drained, pH 6.2 - 7.4 Deer Resistant: Yes Planting Directions Temperature: 70F Average Germ Time: 28 - 56 days Light Required: Yes Depth: 1/16 inch Sowing Rate: 5 seeds per plant Moisture: Keep moist until germination Plant Spacing: 18 inches